Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Manorama, and the Gods & Goddesses, or: what you will be doing February 25 & 26

Greetings, Sweet Yoga Friend,

When I was in Yoga Teacher School, 13 years ago, at OM Yoga Center in NYC, one of our weekends was devoted to the study of Sanskrit. We trudged down to the Lower East Side for a workshop with Manorama ji, who, I believe, was still in graduate school at Columbia at the time. Manorama sat at the front of the class on a cloud of pillows with a shawl wrapped elegantly around her shoulders, and spoke lovingly about her Guru ji, sharing a passion for the language of Sanskrit which sticks with me today. When I chant the Vowel Sounds of Sanskrit, I am drawing directly from the memory of that first workshop; when I chant the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, it is her voice I hear in my head and try to emulate.

Of course, at the time, I thought "Gerji"(spelled how I thought it sounded) was the name of her teacher. Only later did I learn that 'ji' at the end of the name is a term of endearment, and so this was her affectionate and reverent name for her teacher.

Since then I have learned a great deal about devotion and reverence from Manorama ji. Through her way of being she conveys the realization that all of yoga is a teaching, passed down from teacher to student, reinforcing the importance of sending gratitude back toward our teachers, and adopting an attitude of humility as we advance the teaching forward. I have learned to stay open and curious, to not 'stick the landing,' as in, not hold on too tightly to my current perceptions in an effort to solidify the truth. She eloquently described what she refers to as "the OM cycle," and I have pages and pages filled with pearls of wisdom she shares about this quest for truth called yoga.

I am so excited to be hosting Ma for a weekend workshop entitled, "Gods and Goddesses," scheduled for the last weekend of February. In this workshop, Manorama ji will be sharing stories and myths about many of the deities in the Hindu pantheon from the perspective of the Western student. Rather than regarding these icons as literal manifestations of the Divine (as some do, but we are not necessarily required to), this workshop will inspire teachers and devoted students to see them as archetypes representing aspects of our own intrinsic nature. You will learn about your own ability to remove perceived obstacles in your path, understand the power of devotion which makes the impossible possible, recognize the true source of your strength and fortitude, and begin to see yourself as embodying all these qualities yourself. This weekend will affirm your goodness, shine light on areas you may need to bring into harmony, and leave you feeling connected to yourself and your source. Together we'll chant, listen to stories, and begin to see all of life as an opportunity for growth, connection and joy.

If you are interested in enrolling in this program, please call the studio a 215.235.1228, or email Alane. I know many of us like to make decisions at the last minute to keep options open, but we need to ensure we have adequate enrollment by next week. By cOMmitting by Monday, January 23rd, you will help ensure that this workshop happens. To sweeten the deal, we are extending the early registration date to 1/23/12.

Manorama is a magical teacher who spins a web of sweetness, laughter and luminosity. Her voice will echo in your head for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Cori Ji. Continue to spin YOUR web of sweetness, laughter and luminosity!

    ReplyDelete