Saturday, November 19, 2011

Traveling to Dubai

Whew! I made it. Flight from Philadelphia to Atlanta was a breeze, except it was too full for my roller-bag carry on. Had to check that all the way through to Dubai. I wasn't thrilled about this, but it meant that my journey through the Atlanta airport was less cumbersome. And since I volunteered to check my extra bag (somewhat begrudgingly but trying to honor Asteya and not be stingy) one of the Delta Representatives handed me a small stack of Delta drink tickets. They may come in handy on my return flight.

Noura El-Imam had asked me to pick up a bottle of Amaretto, but the duty-free shop in Atlanta didn't carry it. Because I didn't want to be empty-handed for my host, I picked up a bottle of Cointreau and a bottle of Patron's Coffee Liquor, figuring she could have whichever she preferred, and I would sip on the other one over the course of the next 3 weeks.

While sitting at an airport cafe in Atlanta waiting for my connecting flight and sipping on a Blue Moon draft, the woman at the table next to me easily struck up a conversation. Within 20 minutes I knew the names of her children, children-in-law, and grandchildren. We discussed how her long-time boyfriend begrudges her leaving him to spend time with her family, and she told me that I looked like I belong in Paris (which is just about the best compliment anyone can give me). We hugged when we left and I thought, "I just love the South! People are so friendly!"

I had a middle seat for the direct flight from Atlanta to Dubai, seated between 2 lovely gentlemen who had both been to Dubai before. The one to my right works as an Army contractor, and has to stealthily travel throughout the Middle East as a mechanic for surveillance equipment (yes, he has a full security clearance). The guy to my left was born in Dubai ... or maybe it was the larger United Arab Emirates, and now lives in a small town in Kansas. The contrast between the two places seems surreal. We all shared some laughs, which makes a 14 hour flight less awkward.

Thanks to Stephanie M. Rodigas' stellar advice, I had called Delta early in the am to request a vegetarian meal, which they promptly served as soon as the fasten seatbelts sign was off. I fell asleep immediately. Sadly, that was just a short nap. Fourteen hours (well, we made good time, so it was just 13 1/2) is no joke. Seriously. There's nothing funny about it. The entertainment was good, and flying at night helps. Listening to ambient music was at least soothing, but sheeeeesh! (said in loving memory of Dear Old Jay Pratt).

After we finally landed, I learned that there is a duty-free shop as you exit the airport. This is the only place (I think) that you can buy alcohol for home consumption ... or at least it's a whole lot cheaper. So I picked up the requested bottle of Amaretto, thinking that I would probably sip on some of the Cointreau and Coffee Liquor, and leave behind whatever I didn't finish. However, it turns out that Noura's boyfriend Dominic LOVES Cointreau, and she almost asked me to pick that up, too. Of all the choices I could have made, seriously. Kizmet. We are off to a very good start!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Corina~ THANKS for a great recap of your arrangements herein. I am very happy for you that your trip has begun so well. How long will you be IN Dubai? It'll be great keeping up with you by this blog! Take good care and I hope you enjoy every moment. Love, Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Corina way across the world. So happy to hear you've arrived safely. Great idea to blog. I dreamed of you in an exotic setting with amazing people surrounding you. I was delighted just to watch as you and other extraordinary people participated in the most exquisite moves. You're a Goddess of teaching and sharing a remarkable lifestyle...I'm so proud of you. Be well Love Mama Lama ;) http://carolescreativecritters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete