Saturday, November 26, 2011

Extolling the Virtues of a DAY OFF


























































Saturday is like Sunday here. Tomorrow is the Islamic New Year, so some offices will be closed. The city seemed a little quiet-ish, I guess, but Noura and I headed toward what I think is called "Old Dubai." We walked through the textile markets, and took a water taxi across to visit the Spice Souk and the Gold Souk, marveling at how the water actually looks gold in front of the one bank. Each of the merchants tried to entice us into their stores by wrapping a scarf around my head, or placing a spice in my hand and asking, "what do you think this is?" It's always good to travel with a local, because once Noura started speaking Arabic with them, they knew they couldn't rip us off. I only picked up a few things ... some 'thank you gifts' for the teachers who agreed to cover my classes in my absence. Haven't yet found THE PERFECT Dubai t-shirt for my dad, the man who never asks for anything but requested this. I almost bought a kid's book called "Humpy Grumpy" about camel, along with a camel hand puppet for my nephew, but Noura convinced me their asking price was double the value. Alas.

Noura and I got on like childhood friends, and she even felt like a tourist in her own city visiting places she rarely goes to. The weather was absolutely perfect. Stellar day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment