Saturday, November 19, 2011

First Day in a New Land

Sleeping in today meant that my eyes opened at around 7:30 local time. Not bad for getting over jet lag. Dubai is 9 hours ahead of the East Coast, USA.

Practicing Yin Yoga really does help re-set an internal clock. Sarah Powers suggested this in the first yin class I ever took. Maybe it's simply the power of suggestion, but my energy feels pretty even. I'm not bursting at the seams, or anything, but my eyes are open and I seem to be functioning pretty well.

Noura collected me at around 2 pm for a walk around the Greens so I could acquaint myself with the neighborhood and pick up some groceries. I just love grocery stores in foreign countries. Some of the fruits looked AMAZING ... I can't wait to try them. She convinced me to pick up a tiny French Press coffee maker and a pound of freshly ground coffee. I was grateful for the instant coffee that was here in the apartment today, but tomorrow begins Yoga Teacher Training at 7 am, so something more robust will come in handy.

Tonight many of the students enrolled in the program are meeting at a casual Lebanese restaurant to get acquainted. I'm looking forward to expanding out a bit to see more of this city. I haven't caught a glimpse of the ocean yet, but there is a vast expanse of sand and dunes right across from my apartment.

It's just amazing that this little pocket of liberal attitudes exists in the Middle East. Women are wearing shorts and short skirts, plenty of skin revealed. I did laugh that the cab we took from the airport last night was among the women drivers ... they wore pink head scarves, and the cabs were pink!

I hope to find the necessary cable to hook my camera up to the computer so I can post photographs. Until then, I'll just have to use my words.




2 comments:

  1. I love hearing the differences in foreign countries. Pink cabs...how wonderful, but how long does the heater take to warm up for a shower? Be well and remember your camera. Love Mama Lama

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do understand, you do see (C) and must realize that your WORDS have always been wonderful. And this blog spot is a joy to read. Thanks! Auntie D

    ReplyDelete