Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Less Yoga, More Dubai

If you're not a total yoga geek, and you don't find explorations of the intricacies of Teacher Training to be that interesting, and you couldn't care less about pranayama techniques taught by a man who said he was a doctor 20 years ago but looks as if he's 35, you might be reading this blog thinking, "But what is Dubai like????"

So here's my perception so far.

There is one long road that seems to connect everything. Alongside of the road are big showrooms, glass and mirror covered, that look almost like car dealerships do when they are not near other businesses. The ocean is next to this road, or at least near this road, but is not visible because of villas and high rises. There are lots of round-abouts, and the green lights start flashing before they turn yellow. It's definitely not a walk-able city, although there is a metro I'd love to test out.

The architecture is quite something, with really polished and futuristic-looking high-rises. Being from the States, tall building aren't so 'amazing' to me, but here in the Middle East, they are definitely an accomplishment. The tallest tower in the world, formerly the Burg Dubai, now called Burg Khalifa is definitely a tall drink of water. It costs something like $100 to visit near the top, however, and I don't see myself doing that. Apparently a new Tom Cruise movie was just filmed here (a Mission Impossible?) in which he is dangling near the top of the tower.

Shopping malls are big attractions. In the summer, it gets soooo hot, that people can't tolerate being outside. Malls arose to meet this challenge. The Dubai Mall, for example, has a grocery store (at least one), an aquarium, an ice skating rink, a hospital (or at least a health clinic), along with shops and restaurants and cafes. I've been driven past the hotel that has a ski slope in it, and the exterior looks like a very large hamster habit trail.

The people are very nice. I don't sense any attitude at all. I haven't experienced any of the opulence that Dubai seems to be famous for, and Noura debunked the myth that there exists a street paved in gold. In fact, to me it seems pretty laid back. I really appreciate the multi-culturism here. Women in varying states of head scarfs and veils walk next to women in short skirts by women in saris. Some men are wearing traditional garb with headdresses and scarfs, others are in shorts. I don't sense any animosity, and there seems to be at least some level of ease. People smile easily, and are willing to give directions, for example, or volunteer to take a photo.

When Paul and I were in India, he found this really lovely 'clove' toothpaste. So he set me up with a travel size 'crest,' thinking I could find something local and interesting. After visiting maybe 5 pharmacies and grocery stores, I finally found something that wasn't made in the US or Germany, the UK or France. I picked up a tube of paste made with 'miswak' which they dub the 'famous toothbrush tree used for centuries.' It smells like licorice. I'm kinda psyched.

That's all I got for now. On Saturday (my first day off!), Noura is going to take me to the old Souks, which are markets that you reach by hailing a small ferry. Next week, we're planning to do a 'desert safari,' which includes a 4x4 ride in the desert, a half-an-hour camel ride to the destination, and then 'sand boards' to surf the dunes. Now THAT sounds pretty bad ass.

That's all I got for now. Stay tuned. Stay in touch. Drop me a line, or a facebook post.

Benner OUT (tee hee)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Dumpling' Thinking of you and remembering the fabulous dinners you hosted over the years. Always bringing something new and unusually yummy to the table. We miss you and hope your well and sleeping tight. XXXOOO Mum & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rama Lama! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. Did you have the Sweeney Traditional Lobster? I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH. Did you enjoy your 'miswak' toothpaste? I loved your Habitrail description of the indoor skiing arena...

    ReplyDelete