Saturday, November 26, 2011

T.A.I.T.

Weekends here are Friday and Saturday. Rather than saying "T.G.I.F" I'm told they say, "T.A.I.T." (Thank Allah it's Thursday!). As the group trickled in on Friday, slowly, and without a tremendous amount of vim and vigor, Hitesh said, "It's been a long time since any of us has had to 'work' on a Friday." In an effort to be sensitive to their plight, we continued past the typical afternoon break so that we could cover the necessary information, and we could end a little early. Each one of them taught half of a Lunging Surya Namaskara to 3 of the students, while the rest of the class observed. They applauded each other and felt very proud of what they had learned in our short time together. Ok, maybe not that short ... (6) 9 1/2 hour days in a row, but integrating this even while going home to care for children and families is no small thing. For many of them, it's like learning a foreign language (Yoga/Sanskrit) in a foreign language (English). They're working so earnestly it's inspiring. I'd love to audio-record them so when I'm back home in the states I can listen to them teaching.

After we ended on Friday, I got an ayurvedic treatment called "Shirodhara." It's my absolute favorite indulgence. The woman gave me a light, relaxing oil massage, and then proceeded to stream warm sesame oil back and forth over my forehead (3rd eye) for around 45 minutes. The warm oil drips off of the head and through the hair, and she would massage my head periodically. I've heard it called the "mind eraser" because your thoughts come in and out but can't be followed, and your awareness drifts to the far outer reaches of the cosmos ... or you fall asleep. I woke myself up a few times with a little snore. It is A-MAZ-ING. After, she wrapped my hair up in a towel and directed me into a very hot steam room, where I sat for about 10 minutes, so that the oil could be absorbed into my skin. After a shower, I was toast.

Had hoped to go out and experience some of this legendary Dubai nightlife, but could barely muster a quiet, local dinner with Noura before sleepwalking home. I slept 14 hours. In a row. Without waking even once. A cab driver in New York City once told me that a good night's sleep is a gift from God. I felt quite devout in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. Insha'Allah (إن شاء الله) sweet Scheherazade! Wishing you more "Shirodhara" and other favorite indulgences....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello cupcake, I so enjoy reading about your experiences. Thanks for taking the time to share. I'm enjoying reading the cook books you left for me. Now I will gather some ingredients and try a few new recipes. Remember when you first went to England you left your computer for me to discover. My world expanded... as with all things you share with me. Be well Love Mum

    ReplyDelete