Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Santa Comes to Dubai!










When I arrived in Dubai, after a 14 hour flight with little sleep, I marveled at the Christmas decorations in the airport. I have a fuzzy memory of thinking how amusing it was to see that. If Dubai is about shopping, than of course a secular version of Christmas would fit right in.

Today the Oasis Center's central area was completely filled in with Christmas trees, 'snow'men, reindeer, and even wolves and enormous stuffed squirrels. The Mall Manager greeted my photo op with a laugh and told me that Santa is coming to Oasis Center tomorrow, with elves, too. He appeared to be from India, and he told me that in Dubai, Christmas decorations are allowed, but no advertisements or billboards displaying Christmas 'propaganda.' He is also forbidden to have Christmas Carols in the center. He was required to remove the 'santa hats' from models in an advertisement.

In keeping with the Christmas and snow theme, the other day I made it the Mall of Emirates, which has the Ski Slope hotel attached to it. This photo is from the window in the mall. Some people living here have told me that they learned to ski here before going on a ski vacation, so I suppose it has a deeper purpose than simply novelty. There weren't tons of people there while I peeped in, but it was the day after a long, holiday weekend. Noura says it's often busy, and that she's been a few times. You can even rent Parkas and ski pants ... everything but gloves.




1 comment:

  1. pics give a real feel of Christmas!
    By the way, am interested in knowing more abt the title of your blog - 'kaivalya'. In sanskrit, this means the holy adobe of God! Which religion do you follow?
    Your tag line suggests, you are inclined towards Hinduism. I am a Hindu and religious. So your blog caught my attention...

    ReplyDelete