Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dubai in April

     Time is such a funny thing. I left Dubai in December and so much has happened since then, yet it seems like I never left. Or at least like it was just yesterday. 
     The time it takes to get here isn't all that funny. Paul dropped me off at the airport hours early, mostly because the place we were going to get some dinner was closed, and we didn't want to risk getting there too late. I've decided that early is good, as I could take my time moving items from carry on to checked baggage (which was surprisingly underweight!), and didn't have to wait at all to get through security. I was randomly stopped to have my bags searched, which didn't bother me at all. The woman who checked me said there's no such thing as too early at the airport. Being 'alone' at an airport bar is much easier (for me) than being alone at a neighborhood bar; it's easy to strike up conversation, and I'm always so curious about other people's lives, their jobs, etc. Politics, not so much. 
    The flight was drastically undersold, so I got my own little aisle heading to Heathrow, and a window seat next to an empty seat to Dubai. I slept a lot, and am now a huge fan of the 2 1/2 hours to walk around and browse in the shops, rather than direct from Atlanta. 
     It took 40 minutes to get through passport control; they're now digitally photographing everyone. We waited so long that by the time I got to baggage claim, my suitcase was upright and waiting for me. Passing through the duty-free on the way out I picked up a few somethings to sip on in the evening. There are no liquor stores here, so I picked up a bottle of Noura's favorite (Amaretto), and some liquors to enjoy (Cointreau, Ricard, and Patron Coffee). I suspect the bulk of these beverages will be staying in Claire's apartment, which should be a nice parting gift. 
     I'm staying in the neighborhood called The Greens, as before, but in a different apartment. There is a pool and a little gym, and I have a small balcony overlooking a palm-tree lined road. The grocery store is a 10 minute walk, as is a Caribou Coffee, and a Starbucks, among other 'chains.' 
     After lunch with Noura, I practiced Yin Yoga on my little balcony, and then sat for 30 minutes. Not a bad start, although I am seriously 'lagged.' A good night's sleep tonight will top it all off, and the first training begins tomorrow at 9 am. Both Yin Yoga trainings are sold out at 20 students, with at least 3 on a waiting list. I'm very much looking forward to the experience. 
     Heading off for some dinner with Claire and Noura - sushi, ordered in. I'm thankful that they will keep me up for at least another 2 hours, and then hopefully, I'll be on local time. 
     That's it for now. Hopefully I'll have more insightful and informative musings to share as the weeks progress. 
     Shine On!

No comments:

Post a Comment