Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wrapping up Yin TT #1

It's Sunday in Dubai, and today is the last of the first Yin Yoga TT. 


Our days are from 9 am -6 pm, so I haven't done a whole lot more than teach, eat and sleep. Sadly, the night before last I didn't do enough sleeping, finding myself unalterably awake at 2:30 am.  That's a tough hour to start the day. On top of the sleep deprivation, my tummy felt queasy, I felt a uneasy with a bit of a throaty rasp, none of which contributed to feeling "on" while teaching. Apparently a stomach bug has been going around, with a few of the students just getting over the yuck.  Nicole gave me a tincture from Singapore that one dabs on the soles of the feet and the back of the neck to recover more quickly from sickness. Ava gave me some Ashwaganda herbs. Elise gave me a lovely packet of ginger 'tea' from Thailand, all of which made my soul feel better. During the lunch break I was able to schedule a Shirodhara treatment, which is just about the best thing in the world! It's an Ayurvedic treatment in which you are first rubbed down with oil, and then a continuous stream of warm sesame oil is streamed across your forehead for 45 minutes or so. This soothes the frontal lobe of the brain and induces deep relaxation. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I woke myself up a few times snoring! The hot oil then drips across your face and into your hair, which is very conditioning. The treatment is followed by some time in the steam room so that your pores open and the oil is absorbed into your skin. It's heaven, and definitely helped prepare me to make it through the rest of the day. 


36-hours of training in 4 days is pretty intense. I think the students are coming away with a solid base of understanding that they will be able to integrate, share and then build on. They're very receptive, and seem to be really enjoying the experience. 


Tonight, after the training, there is a small group of last year's Foundational TT meeting at the Belgian Beer Cafe at Madinot Jumeriah for some festivities. I'm excited to see the ones who haven't enrolled in the Yin training, and looking forward to a little socializing. 


As for Dubai itself, the weather that I've been 'outside' for has been lovely. Not too hot, not too dry. Strangely, though, while Ynske drove me home yesterday evening at around 6:30, the sun looked like a full moon. It was really bizarre to see the bright orange sun look like a pearl. Ysnke said it was 'dust,' Noura says it's sand. I'll try to take a photo, but I'm sure a more sophisticated camera would be needed to really do it justice. 


After today I have 3 days off IN A ROW! This rarely happens Stateside, so I'm just so looking forward to it. One of the students has offered me a guest pass to the beach hotel where she has a membership, which includes a pool, maybe some restaurants and a bar? I'm hoping to make it over to the Dubai mall to see the dancing fountain, and also possibly the Dubai aquarium, with a walk through tunnel through the water displaying stingrays and sharks above. The Atlantis Resort is close by, and they do have a day rate which Noura says it's way overpriced for what they offer. I think this is the place with an aquarium so large that hotel rooms are positioned so that the window looks into the aquarium ... for something like $3,000 a night. Um, yeah, obviously, I won't be staying there! 



1 comment: