Thursday, May 3, 2012

"You always look like like you're expecting something good to happen."

     It's interesting what 3 days off in Dubai can do. 
     The mini-vacation started with a meet-up of some of the students from last year's foundational training. We met up at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Madinat Jumeirah for an outdoor table, good food and some wine. Alcohol is not readily available in Dubai, but restaurants that are connected to hotels can serve it. 
     The training last year was so special to me, and connecting with the students was more heart-warming and affirming than I could express. During that training I felt like I let my guard down, perhaps more than usual, and I believe that was met with plenty of genuine authenticity from the students. Plus, we spent so much concentrated time together, through good and bad moods, meal breaks, in the context of the intensely personal practice of yoga. It was a bit like boot camp or surviving something very challenging in a group setting, which creates a special kind of bond. 
  On Monday, Colette picked me bright and early with a picnic in hand, and we spent the morning and early afternoon at a no-frills beach just off the side of the road. The water was lovely, and the conversation fantastic. She and I hadn't spent a lot of time together during the training, but got on like school girls chatting away. I wasn't sure how the day would go, but couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome. When she had to go pick her children up from school, I came back to the apartment where I'm staying and helped myself to a nap by the pool. There is something about falling asleep in the arms of the sun that is just so satisfying! Later Clarie took me to Zen Yoga for a vinyasa class with a lovely teacher named Laura. During the 'set your intention' opportunity, I decided that I would practice to remember the joy of practicing yoga. When your passion becomes your livelihood, the joy can get veiled by every day concerns. It was so nice to be an anonymous student in the class, simply there to practice yoga. I sweated A LOT, and was positively beaming when I met Noura for dinner down at Wagamama. 
     Tuesday turned out to be less joyful. Colette picked me up early, and we headed out to find a new destination for me. We chose Mirdif City Center, which is a mall not too close to the center of town. Malls are very popular here, but they wipe my energy away. I ended up feeling blue, missing my husband, and lamenting the 'time off.' My feelings were that, if I'm away to work, I'd rather work so I can earn more time off with my family. I was quite homesick, at least for a little while, and a bit disillusioned by the fantasy that is Dubai. It is a spectacular show but, as with everything, there is a shadow side. There can be a strong sense of materialism and greed, and of course, despair. It seems that luxury is often built on the backs of the poor and disempowered, and it's not difficult for me to get swept away by the sadness and cruelty that are tied up with humanity. This is a land of extremes, and this is where things can be most stark. 
     Noura and I were planning a cheese fondue in my apartment in the evening. But the weather was so nice, and I would be indoor-bound for the next training. I asked her if, instead of staying in for dinner, if she'd be interested in going to the Dubai Mall to watch the fountain dance. This is such a wondrous, spectacular and amazing experience, I knew I couldn't stay blue. This is the largest water fountain in the world (Dubai likes to the biggest everything), and each evening on the half-hour, starting at 7 pm, they have a show. It reminds me of fireworks, but with water spray rather than a sulfur smell. 
     Here are two links, in case you'd like to check it out. Of course, video doesn't capture the full experience, but it's still worth seeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMc5HSCOLoo&feature=related (this is to Michael Jackson's Thriller); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yq84oDpIPc&feature=related (and this is to Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You ... they played this one while I was there, and I will admit that I cried. What can I say, it was an emotional day!) 
     I realize that, having peeked a bit behind the veil to see the despair of Dubai, I wanted to connect with the delight and fantasy of this place. It's so funny to me that I'm here teaching a Yin Yoga training, since Yin is about what's hidden. 
   Anyway, Wednesday I got to spend the day at a beach resort to which Nicole has a membership. Sunbeds, a pool winding through palm trees, and waiter service by the sea. That was so relaxing. I have tan lines even after religiously applying the 85 spf sunscreen! 
     The 2nd Yin TT started today, and I believe we are off to a really good start. Once again, as always here, it is a multi-cultural group. Each student was asked to say, among other things, where they are from. One woman said, "I don't know where I'm from. I grew up in South Africa, my children have New Zealand passports, I've lived here for some years, but I don't know where is home." Modern nomads. I'm excited about this second training. There are some long-time students and teachers in the group, and a couple of Zumba teachers who recognize the need to slow down and nourish their bodies. There is a nice energy in the mood, and I couldn't be more excited to report that there is a local woman, and Emirati, in the class. Yoga is indeed spreading, and may be the force that can unify the whole world. 
     I ended the day with a 2-hour "Chakra Balancing" treatment. It started with a body scrub made of rose petals, was followed by an oil massage accompanied by chakra bija mantras and essential oils, finished with a facial and was topped off by a little hot oil drip on the forehead and a scalp massage. The very sweet Ukrainian woman who treated me told me she was very excited that she got to work on me. I've been coming in there for a week, and previously for a month, and she said that I have such positive energy. While sweeping her arms out to the sides and up toward the sky, in her broken English she said, "You always seem like you are expecting something good to happen." This seems like a really nice way to be regarded and remembered. 

1 comment:

  1. When you are around something good is bound to happen. Love reading your posts. Take care dear.
    Love Lama

    ReplyDelete